Thursday, June 18, 2009

The Million Dollar Network is for Everyone

Networking used to be a local leads group meeting over coffee, or a group of executives meeting at a chamber Business After Hours event. Even when we were told about the theory of 6 degrees of separation, we tended to only network locally.

If the social media hasn't dramatically changed that for you, then you are using a buggy whip in rocket sled times. Twitter, facebook, LinkedIn and even MySpace have rewritten how networking can work, the distance it can cover and how it removes the barriers to reaching some very important people.

Twitter has given me over 5200 followers to date and a great way to learn and connect with people I would probably never have met otherwise. If I need to explain twitter then you've been asleep for a few years. If you really don't know what it is, check it out on Wikipedia. If you don't know what Wikipedia is, how did you even find this blog?

With twitter I communicate with people around the globe. Some famous, some dedicated to what they do, and some are just amazingly intelligent people willing to share their expertise. Fortunately, I've also met many great twitter people in the Charlotte area and I get to meet with them semi-regularly for lunches and after hours gatherings in addition to tweeting with them daily.

Networking for business and finding friendships along the way is a great way to build a solid network. Not to mention, anytime I find myself traveling to a city for work, chances are I will be able to meet with a twitter connection.

Facebook is also a great network opportunity. I have reconnected with old high school classmates, found a new easy way to stay connected with my speaker colleagues and yes, make new connections that are adding to my revenue streams. In fact, my facebook connections have actually provided me with a great new revenue stream I have seriously high expectations for!

If you don't have a twitter account or a facebook account, you are missing out on great, easy to use technology. It's good to build your network for so many reasons both personal and professional regardless what position you hold.

Networking has never been easier, has never been 24/7 like it is now, and never been more beneficial. You just have to take action to get involved. Join me on twitter (Growthsolutions) or on facebook (http://www.facebook.com/russelljwhite1) and let's network! I'll help you get started and show you the wonderful benefits of these great places. All you have to do is ask.