Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Make Sales at the Speed of Smell

We've learned how to touch our prospects with striking visuals, with auditory stimulus that either recalls the familiar or showcases new talent. Why do you think 70's and 80's music is so popular in ads today? It's a way to get prospective customers to call back to their own history and access a positive memory. Sights and sounds, but what about smells?

The inside of a new car.
Cookies baking in the oven.
Fresh bread.
New leather furniture.

Can't you just smell at least one of these? My entire house smells different with the arrival of my new furniture. When people get in my car they notice that "new car" smell. The nose is the final frontier in touching prospects and customers for most organizations.

How can you get in touch with your clients or prospects by talking to their noses? Every industry has a scent they can relate to. The oils used in manufacturing, the scent of ink for printers, the smell of money fresh from the Fed. The next step in marketing is to touch people's noses. What are they ways you can differentiate your organization from the competition? Grab them by the nose.

I once played Pebble Beach golf course and it happened to be a day they were aerating the fairways which means there were little grass plugs everywhere. I grabbed a plastic bag from my golf bag and started scooping them up! My foursome thought I had been in the sun too long. But when I send some of those grass plugs to prospect letting them open a bag to smell what it was like to experience Pebble and own a piece of the course, now I had their attention and it was better than any description I could have written.

Find a way to hit ALL of your prospects senses.