Monday, July 13, 2009

Going the Extra Mile -- Actually 120 Extra Miles



This week's posts will be about going the extra mile in four different aspects of the business to generate, encourage and facilitate growth.

Actually, this was more like an extra 120 miles.

I landed at the Nashville airport once again on my way to serving a client in Bowling Green, KY. I like the Nashville airport because it is clean, bright and frequently has live music playing at a small stage just outside of security check in.

I'm on my way to the Avis lot to get my rental car and I stop by the window in the garage since I didn't see my name on the preferred marquis. They informed me they were out of my class of vehicle and were giving me an upgrade. Great. Only one problem, I was unable to locate my driver’s license. In fact, I left it at home and didn't realize it because I use a passport for security check.

They tell me it is a state law and they can not give me a rental car without an actual license, a faxed copy wouldn't be acceptable. Sure, I fully understood but what was I going to do? I needed to get to Bowling Green in Kentucky.

The manager told me there was a shuttle that made a run there and maybe I should also check with a taxi. As I walked away he told me if those don't work out come back and let me know.

No one was working the shuttle desk -- anywhere. I asked a taxi driver the cost for a one way to Bowling Green and he rolled his eyes and told me it was going to be around $130, That wasn't going to work either.

I walked back to the Avis manager and shared with him what I found out. He put his finger in the air and told me he'd be right back. Within 3 minutes a gentleman walked up to me and asked if I was Mr. White. I replied yes and he smiled extended his hand to shake mine and said, "My name is Leonard and I am here to drive you to Bowling Green." At that point the manager walked up and asked if this would solve my problem. Stunned I only asked one question: How much? The manager smiled and said, "Just keep on using Avis." I thanked him a hundred times and off we went, Leonard and I.

I got to know Leonard as we had wonderful conversations. He knew he'd be getting home late as a result of this trip but he said he was more than happy to help me out.
Years later, I still use Avis exclusively for my rental cars. I will never forget the extra mile they went to overwhelmingly satisfy this customer, who is now a customer for life.

What extra miles should you be taking to get customers for life? The little extra effort will pay huge dividends for your organization.