Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Transparency is Not Always the Best Policy

On twitter and facebook I frequently see people openly expressing themselves in the age of transparency. Some things are best not exposed. It's Wednesday and I have seen no less than a dozen people already talking about getting to the weekend. How can you stay in a job that sucks so bad by Wednesday you are looking for Saturday?
When an individual openly makes such as expression such as, "It's Wednesday, only two more days to the weekend!" I think about the co-workers and heaven forbid the subordinates that work with this person. How motivational is that? How excited are you to have this person on your team? Unacceptable.

People just aren't thinking in this age of tell-everyone-everything by message online. One friend of mine posted on her facebook page, "I don't want to go to work tomorrow." If I am her boss reading that, I would grant her that wish; in fact, I'd make her day be letting her know she never has to work for me again, good bye.

People need to learn that sometimes things are best left unsaid. Even better, some things are best left unthought. If you hate your job as to despise doing it, quit and do everyone a favor. If you are an employer and see an employee who posts online about how much they dislike their job, give them their freedom to find something they do like. Everyone has a bad day at work now and then, but do you want how you feel at that moment in the permanent annals of the internet?

I know there have been many times in my career I bit my tongue and later was so glad I did not say what was on my mind. The last thing you should want in the public view are words from an emotional moment or short term frustration.

If you are going to be a growth organization you need to be populated with people who like what they do and are willing to crank out top efforts; especially, your managers.

One last thing, if you hate your job and post such comments on facebook, twitter etc., do you not think employers and HR personnel are skipping your references and instead checking your online profiles for how you really act? If someone is openly expressing negative thoughts about work, how excited am I going to be to put them on my team?

Keep in mind the next time you want to shout out your feelings to 220 million people on facebook, you are creating a lasting impression one post at time.