Monday, October 26, 2009

Locate Your Vulnerabilities


One person’s game is another person’s nightmare. My website was hacked recently by a hacker claiming to be from Pakistan, which is just slightly out of my reach to wrap my hands around his throat. In any event, it has been a teachable moment to understanding where my business vulnerabilities are. As a small business significant interruptions to my process can be debilitating. Consider checking your organization for vulnerabilities in the following areas.

Technology

I am not a code writer nor do I understand the least bit about web coding. Technology is becoming so specialized that fewer and fewer people can truly handle all of the multiple technologies companies rely on. Small organizations need to have back up plans and know where to turn when the disaster strikes.

One of my clients purchased a very expensive system at the core of their organization that continues to fail to deliver on the promises made upon purchase. Their tech people are doing all they can, but they often find themselves stuck between designers and hosts pointing fingers at each other. Not a way to run a business, yet I encounter many who are working around these type of situations.

Where are your technology gaps? Do you have the technology you want? The technology you need? Do you have a clue how it operates? You need to have answers because the next vulnerability can leave you hanging.

People

Because I am not a code writer I have to be reliant on my web host and web designer to come through for me in an emergency. My designer was notified the day the site was hacked as was the host. The host tells me there is no way to track a hacker or find exactly how he got in. Five days later my designer is still AWOL. Essentially, my front door to my operation is closed until further notice because the people I count on didn’t deliver.

Who are you relying on to know what they are doing and be available 24/7 in case an emergency happens? Do you have a single person who possesses all of a specific piece of knowledge? A client had one person who could run payroll and the day that disgruntled employee quit his job, a virus was found in the payroll system making it a disaster. Did he do it? The mess was expensive and disruptive. Be sure you have people redundancy for critical information and knowledge.