Wednesday, October 14, 2009

The Unusual Grabs Your Attention


Yesterday on another flight back to my home airport in Charlotte at the end of a program I climbed into my exit row aisle seat which passes for first class on regional jets. Another day, another satisfied client and another plane ride.

I settle into my seat for a little nap as we take off. About ten minutes into my flight I hear the landing gear doors open right under me followed by a hard bank to the east. That’s not right.

It seems a brake sensor was indicating an overheated brake and the protocol is to head back to the airport we just left and make an emergency landing, which we did surrounded by vehicles with flashing lights and men in silver fire retardant suits. My hat is off to the Louisville Airport and US Air for how they wonderfully handled the situation.

The normal thumps, bumps, sounds, smells and in-flight announcements rarely get my notice, but do something completely different and you’ve got my attention.

If you want to grab the attention of your customers:

· Do something out of the ordinary

· Shift a routine and be unusual

· Try something dramatically different

I’m sure my flight on Friday will be back to the routine once again, but I’ll be thinking on how I can grab the attention of a familiar audience by trying something unusual.